Wednesday, August 24, 2016

#1 - (Apt. 309) - First Day



9:45
The day started with me, approximately seven minutes late for my first day of work at the local movie theater (I had been given the matinee shift), spilling a fresh cup of coffee down the front of my new shirt. I guess, in hindsight, it wasn’t the best idea to decide not to set an alarm, or to buy a white shirt that had cost me much more than it should’ve, or even to pour myself a cup of coffee in the first place, when I knew it would just make me jittery.


12:16
It’s been raining since this morning, and the place is packed. There’s nothing like a rainstorm to bring the massive crowds to a movie theater. Nobody seems to notice the stain on my shirt.


3:58
My shift is over, my first day behind me, and it’s still pouring. I’m happy with how it went. It was better than I expected, really. I passed out some of the tickets, cleaned up a 13 year old’s spilled cherry coke, and ate popcorn during my lunch break. I’m tired, but not from exhaustion. It’s a sleepy, warm kind of tired. The kind from when I was a kid, pink cheeked and ready to take a nap after a day at a pumpkin patch. I’m beginning to warm to the idea that this city is my new home.

6 comments:

  1. *Don't forget to mention the crime at the park if you think you'll be a part of that story arc.*

    For your next blog, I think maybe you should talk more about how Timma is fitting in at Winthrop Place. Maybe include some people she meets, and her interactions with them. Have her go to one of the shops and interact with someone there.
    I want to know more about Timma's life before Winthrop Place, too, which will hopefully help develop her personality. There's that sentence about the pumpkin patch but there's no introduction of a distinctive personality trait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I just noticed that we have the same apartment number...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Timma! As you probably know, we're paired up for the next post :) However, I only did my first post TODAY. If you wouldn't mind going first with the post, that would be fantastic.

    If you don't respond within the next few days, I'll just go ahead and do the first one myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mab! I'd be happy to write the first post. I'll try and get it up sometime in the next couple of days!

      Delete